Thursday, January 28, 2010

iPad, Kindle, or Mini-Netbook? My comparison:

Kindle Wireless Reading Device (6" Display, Global Wireless, Latest Generation)


Apple made a big announcement. Everyone is listening.
Do we love the new iPad?
I found reviews and comparisons. I think … It depends. It depends what you are looking for.

Now, I don’t claim to know more about the technical stuff than these reviewers, but they are not all entirely accurate. Example: Kindle does have an SD slot, Kindle can handle photos/diagrams (just not in color)… If you have a particular feature that is important to you make sure to … go to the source for more info…

Sources: Kindle (Basic)specs, Kindle DX specs,
Apple iPad specs, HP mini netbooks specs,
Toshiba tablet pc specs, Dell mini netbooks and
Barnes & Nobles Nook specs

Here are some reviews that I found interesting, although not entirely accurate:
http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/01/27/the-ipad-vs-the-kindle-spec-for-spec/
http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/01/27/apple.banking.on.color.and.apps/
http://seattlebubble.com/blog/amazon-kindle-vs-apple-ipad/
http://socialmode.com/2010/01/27/ipadibooks-vs-kindle-vs-nook/

My obsession with books has meant that I want to own as many as possible, I just don’t want the clutter! Kindle to the rescue! Ever since it came out, I thought it was a fabulous idea. I haven’t purchased one though. I just know that technology is moving quickly… when will the next best thing be here? Is it the iPad? Here is my take…

For books, the Kindle is still better. You can’t beat the non-glare e-ink for reading. One negative, for crafts, how-to, and magazines – color would be nice! With the Kindle you can “sync” your books on your computer, Amazon library, iphone, and blackberry – you will never run out of storage space because Amazon will store your entire library! You have tons more books available through Amazon than through Apple’s iBook store. Amazon’s last count was 400,000 books in addition to magazines, newspapers, and blogs. And it is not stopping: Quote from Amazon, “Our vision for Kindle is to have every book ever printed, in any language, all available in under 60 seconds.” And huge: No monthly fee!! Free 3G connectivity. No internet or mobile service fees. This adds up every month, people!! Why aren’t the other reviewers making a big deal about this feature?

My final choice...  I'm still waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think of this post!